Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Serena

Kim Clijsters moved into the US Open Tennis women’s singles final in controversial circumstances as the defending champion Serena Williams (pictured above) picked up a point penalty for a second code violation on match point. Williams was a set and 6-5 down when she foot-faulted on a second serve to hand Clijsters match point. Replays indicated the call had been a harsh one and a very angry Serena launched a verbal tirade at the concerned line judge. “I swear to God I’m … going to take this … ball and shove it down your … throat, you hear that ? I swear to God,” Williams was reported to have said. After the line judge reported her to the umpire for verbal abuse, Williams added: “I never said I would kill you, are you serious?” Good to see a bit of fire in tennis again – it’s been far too quiet ever since McEnroe and Connors packed up !

-

0 Comments: